Coos County was created on December 22, 1853. It was named after a local Indian tribe, the Coos, meaning, Lake or Place of Pines.
Coos County is situated in the southwestern part of Oregon with the Pacific Ocean on the west. Present county has an area of 1,629 square miles.
Although exploration and trapping in the area occurred as early as 1828, the first settlement was established in 1853. The Territorial Legislature granted permission for the development of wagon roads from Coos Bay to Jacksonville in 1854 and to Roseburg in 1857. Although a mountainous county, it has considerable areas suitable for agriculture and dairy farming. Timber and fishing have been the foundation of the county's economy. The area also has produced large quantities of shellfish.
There are several port districts in the county: Port of Coos Bay founded in 1909, Port of Coquille River founded in 1912, and Port of Bandon founded in 1913. Coos Bay is considered the best natural harbor between San Francisco Bay and the Puget Sound.
Gold mining was the magnet that drew people to explore and exploit the mineral resources of the county during the nineteenth century. Today there are rich deposits of iron ore, lead, and coal that await development. Vacation and recreational possibilities, such as the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area and many state parks, attract tourists to the area and provide an additional economic stimulus.
Below are a few webpages with information about our main service areas:
Coos Bay: www.c21bestrealty.com/coos-bay-oregon-information
North Bend: www.c21bestrealty.com/north-bend-oregon-information
[Read more about Coos County, Oregon]
East of Coos Bay. According to Oregon Geographic Names, a post office was established there in 1893, and it is unknown why this spelling was chosen rather than the more common form, Allegheny, used for many features in the eastern United States. The Allegany spelling is most common in the state of New York, suggesting the Oregon town's founders were from, or at least familiar with, that area.
The East Fork Millicoma River and West Fork Millicoma River join at Allegany to form the Millicoma River, a short tributary of the Coos River. The Golden and Silver Falls State Natural Area is a state park northeast of Allegany. Lots of farms, hiking, river sports and waterfalls located in Allegany.
Bandon is a great place to live or visit. It is a diversified, full-service community with dramatic, walkable beaches and spectacular sunsets. The Old Town district is home to local artisans, unique gift shops and galleries. There are excellent restaurants of both American and foreign cuisine.
Along the Coquille River, east of the lighthouse is the Boat Basin and pier. Featured here are a host of indoor and outdoor eateries along with excellent opportunities for crabbing and fishing, as well as a modern ramp for launching boats.
Bandon is the Cranberry Capital of Oregon. Bandon is also famous for Bandon Dunes, a series of championship golf courses fashioned in the original Scottish style.
The transition from a timber dependent community has provided Bandon with a diverse economic base. Timber, tourism, small manufacturing, farming, agriculture, fishing and small independent businesses all provide opportunity for beneficial controlled growth. Bandon's population is 3,100 in the city limits and about 5,600 in what is referred to as the greater Bandon area. Bandon was named one of the "Coolest Small Towns in America" by BudgetTravel.
INTERESTING FACT: A fire raged through the Coos County coastal town of Bandon in 1936, destroying most of the city.
[read more about Bandon, Oregon]
It is about 9 miles east of Myrtle Point on Oregon Route 42 near the Middle Fork Coquille River.
A post office two miles west of this locale was named "Angora" and ran from August 1883 until May 1894. There had previously been a post office named "Enchanted Prairie" from 1870 to 1883 when the name was changed to Angora and moved to the home of the new postmaster. Angora post office moved twice more, each time to the home of the current postmaster. Bridge post office was established in July 1894, named for a nearby bridge over the river.
Bridge was stagecoach stop where horses were changed. In 1915 the town had a creamery, sawmill, gristmill, school, and a Christian Church, and in 1940 Bridge had a population of 39. As of 1990, Bridge had a store and a tavern. The Church of the Brethren owns Camp Myrtlewood south of Bridge. The Christian Church, founded in 1900, now operates as the Bridge Community Church.
Broadbent is located along Oregon Route 242 south of Myrtle Point. Broadbent has a post office with ZIP code 97414.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 Â°F. According to the KĂ¶ppen Climate Classification system, Broadbent has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
Today, the gathering place for "scientists, intellectuals, and prominent visitors" is in the quiet village of Charleston, just over the hill from Coos Bay. Here, in the marina cafe, you will find folks from many different backgrounds and perspectives, here now as commercial fishermen, spending a bit of time on land to spin a few stories, wait for the tide to change, and prepare for another trip to sea. The community also provides services for the seafood processing and marine support industries. Charleston is the site of the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology and the United States Coast Guard Charleston Lifeboat Station.
Previously named Marshfield, Oregon. Coos Bay, Oregon's largest bay, has represented a commercial passage to the sea from pioneer days to the present. In the mid 1800's, the waterways and forests that had supported the Native American settlements equally encouraged European settlement. Around the turn of the century coal, mining and shipment of coal were a major part of the economy, and the region prospered as a center for wood products, shipbuilding, shipping and products of the sea.
Transportation systems radiated from the city to inland Oregon, the Pacific Ocean and other areas of Coos County. The mosquito fleet of small boats delivered people and products to places of pleasure, culture and transshipment to other parts of the world. Coos Bay still provides commercial passage.
Coos Bay is well known for its beaches, waterfalls, hiking trails, the Coos River and more! There endless amounts of outdoor activities such as, camping, kayaking, horseback riding, Swimming, riding in the Dunes, fishing, boating and so much more! No matter where you go, the views are breathtaking. Hillsides, mountains, oceans, lakes, fieldsâŠ Itâs a must see!
[read more about Coos Bay, Oregon]
In January 1854, the Territorial Legislature established Empire City as the county seat. In 1895 the legislature permitted the citizens of the county to choose a new county seat. The 1896 vote resulted in the designation of Coquille City as the new county seat.
The first courthouse in Coquille was erected in 1898. An addition, referred to as the "hall of records," was built in 1916. In 1951 the old courthouse was torn down. The "hall of records" was left standing, and in 1951 and 1953 east and west wings were added at the cost of $180,000 and $260,000 for each wing.
The primary economic base is the timber industry. The city derives its name from the Coquille Indian tribe. Coquille is bordered by the Coquille River which drains part of the Coastal Range into the Pacific Ocean at Bandon.
[read more about Coquille, Oregon]
The community was built along the historic Coos Bay Wagon Road, which opened in 1873. In the 1860s, a settler planted small fruit trees that flourished; some were producing fruit over a hundred years later. The first of three one-room schools was built in 1872.
The main industry in Dora was logging, and three mills employed many of the local men during the 1940s and 1950s. The mills were closed during the 1950s and 1960s as timber became scarce and leases for the land use expired. Some logging is still done in the area, mainly on private land.
In the 1960s and 1970s, a local farm began planting daffodil and other bulbs that were sold in the United States, Japan, and The Netherlands. Other agricultural endeavors are limited to small-scale ranching, hay production, and raising beef cattle.
One of the most recognizable landmarks in Dora is the Abernethy house, the largest house in the community. It was built by Edwin P.S. Abernethy, the grandson of George Abernethy, Oregonâs first provisional governor. The house is now owned and occupied by Edwin Abernethy's niece.
The local fire department maintained the last school building as a fire hall and community center for twenty-five years, and it remains the only public building within twenty miles. Volunteers established a library that was later added to the Coos County Library System. The Dora community raised over a million dollars through grants, donations, bake sales, and other means; and in 2009, the community built a new fire hall and renovated the old school, which houses the library and church.
About a hundred families live in Dora, and most of the residents are retired. The closing of the school and the distance from employment discourages young families from moving there. The area is popular during elk and deer season; and steelhead fishing attracts enthusiasts during the winter, when commercial guides come to cash in on the sport.
A small town with a population of around 1,000 people, Glasgow is located on the north side of Coos Bay, about 6 miles north, just east of U.S. Route 101. The place was supposedly named by a Scot because it reminded him of Glasgow, Scotland.
The community was founded by real estate speculators in the 1890s. The community did not flourish until 30 years after its founding, when construction of Route 101 made Glasgow the northern terminus of the ferry from North Bend, which was used to cross the bay prior to the completion of the Coos Bay Bridge.
Glasgow has a store and a Grange hall, the North Bayside Grange, also known as the Glasgow Grange, that was built in 1928. A humorous sign at the store states that the community's population is "275.5", the .5 for store owner and "Self-proclaimed mayor", Jack S. Stevens.
Hauser is an unincorporated community in Coos County, Oregon, United States. It is along U.S. Route 101, 7 miles south of Lakeside and 6 miles north of North Bend. Hauser is on the edge of the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area near North Slough, a tributary of Coos Bay once known as the North Inlet of Coos Bay. It is a station on the Central Oregon and Pacific Railroad (formerly the Southern Pacific).
Hauser was originally named "North Slough". Charles D. McFarlin of Massachusetts built the first known cranberry bog on the West Coast in what is now Hauser in 1885.
The City of Lakeside is next to Tenmile Lake. Until 1874, all the land surrounding the lakes belonged to the group currently known as the âTribes of the Coos, Lower Umpqua, and Siuslaw Indiansâ.
In the 1930âs and â40âs, Lakeside was a known retreat for Hollywoodâs rich and famous. Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Charles Laughton, Sidney Greenstreet, opera singer Lilly Pons are just a few of the names that have appeared in various newsprint through the years as visitors to Lakeside.
Major events during the year begin on Motherâs Day Weekend with our Crawdad Festival which has drawn over 10,000 to our area. The Independence Day Celebration is held at the County Park and includes vendors, a car show, and a fabulous fireworks display over the lake. The third week in August is the Columbia Drag Boat Associationâs annual Drag Boat Races on Tenmile Lake. Other summer activities include cardboard boat races and free fishing days for kids. The annual community tree lighting ceremony is the first Saturday in December.
Several resorts are in the surrounding area that accommodate RV and/or tent campers. Wildlife species found in the area include elk, deer, beaver, raccoons, opossum, river otters, bald eagles, blue heron and so much more!
ATV and dune buggy rentals are only minutes away, or take a walk along the ocean beaches. Other activities on the local beaches and bay include crabbing and clamming.
Myrtle Point, established in the 1860âs, is named after Myrtle or Bay Laurel trees that grow profusely along the Coquille River and previously named as Ott and Myersville.
Long before the arrival of Euro-American settlers, the area served as a seasonal hunting and fishing village for the Coquille tribe, Native Americans. The site is situated between the two points of confluence of the three forks of the Coquille River. The town site marks the extent of the navigable river.
The story of Myrtle Point is inextricably linked to the lush valleys and forests of the southern coastal mountain range. Timber has been central to the cityâs. Early settlers also took advantage of the fertile Coquille Valley and long growing season to build a booming agriculture industry in the area, with dairy farming and production being supplied to communities as far away as San Francisco. Other agricultural products include sheep, beef cattle and specialty agricultural products.
Many descendants of the original Myrtle Point families remain in the area today. They see their homes as family heirlooms. As a result, many historic homes and buildings still remain in Myrtle Point.
Myrtle Point is a great place to live, to work, to raise a family and build a business. Make your home in the Heart of the Myrtlewoods.
A sawmill and shipyard were built in the mid 1850âs and due to difficult terrain, the citizens relied on the waterways to carry cargo and passengers to points on the bay or sloughs. Ocean-going ships navigated the treacherous bar to access other ports.
The Boardwalk gives views of the area that once was a busy industrial hub of the city with shipping, fishing, and passenger ship activity, also mills, factories, shipyards, and related ventures. Pilings for city dock still visible.
Built in 1936, the McCullough Bridge is the last of five coast bridges to complete the Roosevelt Highway (US 101). It was a depression era WPA project, cost over $2,000.000, employed hundreds, length 5,888 feet, center height about 150 feet. Originally Coos Bay Bridge
Nearly 10,000 citizens now live in âthe city that believes in itself.â The future may differ from the past, but North Benders remain proud of their town and history.
[read more about North Bend, Oregon]
The locale got its name from Olaf Reed (1827-1906), who settled there in the 1870s. Olaf Reed was a Norwegian immigrant who started a partnership with Oden Nelson. They operated vessels on the Coquille River between Myrtle Point and Bandon, Oregon.
Reed and Nelson started a general store in 1873. Norway's post office was established in 1876 and as of 2003, it had been moved a few miles from its first location.
In 1977, the whole community was put up for sale. At the time the two-acre town-site consisted of a store with living quarters upstairs, a cafĂ©, a post office, a home, several old motel cabins and a defunct gas station.
The original settlers hailed from North Carolina, and the town came be known as Powers after early 20th century lumberman Albert Powers who brought in men and machines (including a railroad) to log the surrounding forests. The historic Wagner House, situated alongside the main road through Powers, is said to be the oldest pioneer home in the region. Thereâs an adjacent railroad museum, as well as walk-around displays on the grounds. The yearâs big event in Powers is White Cedar Days, held during the 4th of July. A Spirit of the Siskiyous Celebration and Native American Pow-wow, is planned for the week before the 4th of July.
Powers is nestled in a valley ringed âround by steeply forested mountains of the Coast Range, Powers retains the close-knit, small-town character of a Pacific Northwest logging community. Itâs 18 miles up a winding road from Highway 42, a major east-west road between US 101 and Interstate 5 near Roseburg.
Powers is a gateway to the Siskiyou National Forest, and the road to it is part of the Coquille-Rogue Scenic Byway. Beyond Powers and over a watershed divide is the Rogue River, which the road follows down to the Pacific Ocean at Gold Beach. Another road along the way is the Powers-Glendale Bike Route. These back country routes are usually closed by snow in winter.
Powers County Park offers day-use and overnight camping. Many sites have RV hookups, and there are plans to offer cabin rentals. The Siskiyou National Forest, about 5 miles south of town on the Coquille-Rogue Scenic Byway, has many campgrounds.
Situated along Highway 42, a major east-west link between the southern Oregon coast and Interstate 5 near Roseburg, Remote isnât really that isolated, although there are many lonely miles in every direction.
Situated in a small valley amidst the many convoluted folds of the Coast Range, Remote was home to pioneer settlers. Its location along an early-day military road â later to become Highway 42 -- brought more outside contact. A general store serves as the only vestige of commerce, and as an informal museum of local history.
It lies near the confluence of Sandy Creek with the Middle Fork Coquille River.
Remote was named by local pioneers for its distance from other settlements. Its post office was established in 1887. Remote is often cited on lists of odd place names.
Riverton is on Oregon Route 42S, about 12 miles up the Coquille River from Bandon. The site of Riverton was platted in 1889. The Riverton post office was established in 1890 and named for its situation on the river. Orlando A. Kelly, the first postmaster, was also said to have been the first settler there.
In 1915 Riverton had a population of 200. At that time Riverton shipped coal mined locally by steamboat to California. The first coal mine opened in the county in 1854 and up to a quarter of people worked in what was then the region's most important industry Riverton served as a coal-mining center for more than 50 years. In 1940, Riverton's population was 150, and the place served as a trading center for farmers who grew peas. The post office closed in 1961. Formerly Riverton Ferry crossed the Coquille there and as of 1969, it was still being operated by the county. At one time the community had a high school and a grade school. Circa 1901, there was a Christian Church and today there is a Riverton Community Church unaffiliated with the former one. As of 2010 there are no stores in Riverton.
Sitkum is about 27 miles north of Remote in the Southern Oregon Coast Range near the East Fork Coquille River
A tavern or roadhouse was established as a stagecoach stop near a point halfway between Roseburg and Coos City on the Coos Bay Wagon Road about 1872 or 1873. A competitor put up another halfway house nearby and the name Sitkum, a Chinook Jargon word for "half", was selected for the place. Sitkum post office took its name from the tavern. It ran from 1873 to 1964, with one intermission. The Halfway House at Sitkum was a combination restaurant, tavern, rooming house, post office and telegraph station where travelers stopped while horses were changed. There is little left of the community today, and the Sitkum School was converted into a residence. The former teacher's house and the gym still exist on the grounds.
Named after Territorial Governor George L. Curry, the county was a part of "Coose" County until it was created in 1855. Curry County contains valuable standing timber and also offers spectacular coastal scenery, clamming and crabbing, excellent fishing, upriver scenic boat trips, hiking trails, and gold for the fun of panning.
Curry County is situated along the Pacific Coast in the southwest corner of Oregon. It is bounded on the south by California, on the west by the Pacific Ocean, on the north by Coos County, and on the east by Josephine County. The county contains1,648 square miles.
In 1859, following an informal vote of county citizens during the general election, Ellensburg was designated the county seat. In 1891 Ellensburg was renamed Gold Beach because of the gold and other minerals found in the sands in this area and to eliminate confusion with the city of Ellensburg located in the state of Washington.
In 1852, explorers discovered gold and other precious metals in the rivers and along the beaches of this area. Initially, settlement in the county was concentrated along the coast and depended primarily on water transport. The slow development of inland transportation routes kept the county relatively isolated well into the twentieth century. While there is still some mining of cobalt, nickel, and chromium in the southern part of the county, most of the county's economy has reoriented to agriculture, recreation, tourism and forest products. Port Orford cedar (Lawson Cypress) and myrtlewood are important export commodities.
The county has excellent grazing areas for raising cattle and sheep as well as favorable environmental conditions for the production of blueberries, cranberries, and horticultural nursery stock. The Harbor Bench area of southern Curry and northern Del Norte counties produces ninety percent of all Easter lilies raised in the United States. Vacation and recreational possibilities in the county draw tourists to the area and provide additional economic diversity.
Located between Bandon and Port Orford where U.S. Route 101 crosses Willow Creek.
Denmark was founded by first generation Danes who developed a profitable dairy industry in the area. Denmark post office was established in 1882. In 1915 the community had a sawmill, a cheese factory, a creamery, and a public school. In 1940 Denmark had a population of 96. Improvements to U.S. 101 bypassed the business district and the community went into decline. By the 1990s, the only business in Denmark was a store/gas station. In 2009 there was a drive-through espresso stand at the same location.
Denmark was the focus of a 2009 series of articles on Oregon Public Broadcasting (OPB) about climate change that coincided with the Copenhagen Summit in the country of Denmark.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 Â°F. According to the KĂ¶ppen Climate Classification system, Denmark has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
Established in 1881. Langlois was once famous for its blue cheese, until the cheese factory burned down in the 1950s. It was never rebuilt.
Langlois was named for William Langlois, an early Oregon pioneer. Langlois is located spanning U.S. Route 101, 41 miles by road north of Gold Beach. It is 2.3 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean. Floras Creek, a tributary of the New River, passes through the southern part of the community.
Langlois is a variant of the French "L'anglais" meaning the Englishman. The variations in pronunciation stem from Anglicization and then Americanization down through the years.
The locals have their own take on the name: Lang lois Langwau, Lang o ise, Lang lewis , Lang lis , Lang loy and probably more. Here are some samples from us locals.
The original Langlois hotel burned and a nearly identical structure replaced it. The "new" building, constructed in 1913, served several businesses, including the E.H. Cheever Hardware store. Today, the hotel sits waiting its next incarnation.
The Wild Rivers Wool Factory Outlet is housed in an old Catholic church dating back to 1917. It was built under the direction of Father Joseph P. Clancy, a young priest of 20. He traveled by Louis Knapp's stage line between Bandon and Gold Beach. Apparently the road south of Langlois was similar in nature to the road to Cape Blanco lighthouse: corduroy. Bumping over the logs that made up the road was not likely a pleasant experience.
Directly across from the Old Church/Wool Factory is Langlois Market. This is THE meeting place for the locals. Lee serves up groceries, along with deli lunches (forget Subway, you can't beat a Langlois Market deli sandwich!), and his now world famous hot dogs. Word of warning: don't hit this place at noon! Try 11:30 or after 1:30, or be prepared to wait. The store is over 50 years old, and one does wonder how many look up, as they are standing in line waiting.
The Langlois cheese factory burned to ground April 27, 1957, it was never rebuilt. The cheese factory was built in 1925 by Hans H. Hansen, originally producing cheddar cheese. In 1941, the factory was changed to a blue cheese operation. Scientists discovered how to duplicate the imported French Roquefort Cheese, opening the doors for American production. While the French cheese is made from sheep's milk and aged in caves, the Langlois version was made from Jersey cows whole milk, and aged in a temperature controlled environment. During the process, each wheel was turned one-quarter turn every day, ageing about 6 months. The cheese was noted as a full flavored Roquefort at its best, with a rich creamy texture of English Stilton.
The plant employed about 15 people on a regular basis, doubling the crew between Halloween and Christmas the busiest time of year. There was no automation in the plant, with the exception of an automatic pre-heater, which is believed to have caused the fire.
Where the forests and the mountains meet the crashing seas, itâs a town as remarkable for what it has as well as what it doesnât.
Youâll find amazing natural beauty. Fresh, clean air. Unbeaten paths and clear vistas as far as the eye can see. No strip malls. No fast food. No crowds.
Lots to see and do and perfectly located to explore Oregonâs spectacular south coast.
Here, the great outdoors is truly, awesomely great. It's unspoiled, undeveloped, clean...natural. And best of all, it's uncrowded. Port Orford is far from any major population area, so we don't get casual crowds. When people come here, it's because they want to.
In town, they come for river and ocean fishing, hiking, surfing, whale watching, skate boarding and world-class birding. Nearby, they come for more fishing, horseback riding, jet boats up the Rogue River and rafting down it. They come for ocean and lake kayaking, windsurfing and kiteboarding, as well as guided paddling and fishing tours of the ocean, lakes and rivers. The redwoods, sand dunes, vineyards and some glorious gardens are easy day trips from here. And let's not forget golf. A championship course, an hour to the south of us in the redwoods, and arguably the finest public golf course half an hour north.
We even have an OSU Field Station to support research at the nearby Redfish Rocks Marine Reserve, provising space for experiments and classes, as well as a fill station for scuba tanks!
So, when we say people come here because they really want to...with everything we have to do here, who wouldn't?
It is located on U.S. Route 101 and the Sixes River, east of Cape Blanco and the Cape Blanco Lighthouse.
Accounts vary as to the origin of the name "Sixes". The community was named after the river. Though this is most likely the real source of the name, the spelling "Sixes" was probably used by miners drawn to the Oregon gold rush who were familiar with the Chinook word "sikhs". The current spelling was used as early as 1855, and Sixes' post office was established in 1888.
Lots of outdoor activities to do here such as floating the river, hiking, fishing, camping and more.
This is also the location of the famous Cape Blanco Music Festival where tons of country music stars perform for a long concert/camping experience.
The area originally was inhabited by the Umpqua Indians, who speak a language in the Athabaskan language family. Following the Rogue River Indian War in 1856, most of the remaining natives were moved by the government to the Grand Ronde Indian Reservation. However, seven families of Umpqua hid in the hills, eluding capture for many decades. They are now federally recognized as the Cow Creek Band of Umpqua Tribe of Indians. The tribe manages a small reservation in Canyonville, Oregon, and has a Casino/Hotel named Seven Feathers to represent the seven families who refused forced removal to the Grand Ronde Reservation.
Douglas County was created on January 7, 1852, from the portion of Umpqua County which lay east of the Coast Range summit. In 1862, the rest of Umpqua county was absorbed into Douglas County, some say due to the loss of population following the end of the early gold boom, while others attribute the absorption to politics.
The entire watershed of the Umpqua River lies within the boundaries of Douglas County. The heavily timbered county contains nearly 1.8 million acres of commercial forest lands and one of the oldest stands of old growth timber in the world. Approximately 25â30% of the labor force is employed in the forest products industry. Agriculture, mainly field crops, orchards, and livestock (particularly sheep ranching), is also important to the economy of the county. The land of Douglas County is roughly half-publicly and half-privately owned.
The post-Prohibition wine industry in Oregon began with Richard Somer planting Hillcrest Vineyard at the south end of the Umpqua Valley in 1961. The Umpqua Valley wine appellation lies entirely within Douglas county.
Nickel has been refined at Riddle since 1954. There is a significant federal presence in the region; the Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management administer more than 50% of the county's land.
Gardiner is named for a Boston merchant whose ship, the Bostonian, shipwrecked at the mouth of the Umpqua on October 1, 1850. Gardiner was seeking to trade along the river, and most of his goods were saved from the ship and moved to the location that came to be the town of Gardiner. In 1851, the site became the headquarters of the Umpqua customs district, and a post office named "Gardiners City" was established the same year. The name of the post office changed to "Gardiner City" and eventually to its current name.
The Gardiner Historic District, which encompasses nearly all of Gardiner, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1994. Several steamboats were constructed at Gardiner for trade up the Umpqua River.
A plywood plant opened in Gardiner in 1954, joining the lumber mill (or sawmill) that had been in the town for many years.
Gardiner was formerly the site of the first International Paper mill on the West Coast. The paper mill operated from 1963 until 1999, and was one of the largest employers on the southern Oregon Coast. The mill buildings were demolished in 2006.
A railroad, the Longview, Portland & Northern (LP&N), served the IP mill until it closed. The railroad runs from East Gardiner Junction to the old plant site.
Incorporated in 1919 near the confluence of three rivers â the Umpqua, the Smith, and the Scholfield, the City of Reedsport is located on the beautiful Oregon Coast on Highways 101 and 38 on the banks of the Umpqua River â the largest river between the Sacramento and the Columbia. Located in the heart of the Oregon Dunes National Recreational Area, Reedsport is in close proximity to over 17 freshwater lakes and is just four miles from Winchester Bay and the Pacific Ocean.
Reedsport is an outdoor loverâs paradise. The Umpqua River is home to one of the largest recreational fishing ports on the Oregon Coast. In addition to fishing, citizens, guests, and visitors enjoy hunting, hiking, riding ATVs on the Dunes, beachcombing, boating, bike riding, and much more. Just three miles east on Highway 38 is the famous Dean Creek Elk Viewing area currently sustaining hundreds of Oregon's Roosevelt Elk in their natural habitat with viewing stations and photo opportunities.
The City is approximately 195 miles south of Portland, 87 miles southwest of Eugene, 70 miles west of Roseburg, 25 miles north of Coos Bay, and 21 miles south of Florence. Reedsport is within easy driving distance the University of Oregon and Oregon State University, shopping and cultural centers, and a variety of excellent outdoor recreation areas. Southwestern Oregon Community College, (SWOCC), is located in nearby Coos Bay.
[read more about Reedsport, Oregon]
It is along the Umpqua River and Oregon Route 38, and is about 20 miles from the Pacific Ocean. It was once a growing town but after a large flood in December 1861 the town declined. Scottsburg was named for pioneer Levi Scott. For a short time in the 1850s and 1860s, it was a seaport servicing the interior of Southern Oregon.
Scottsburg was a transfer point for a stage line that ran from Drain, Oregon to Scottsburg. Once travelers boarded a steamboat and travelled down river to Gardiner, Oregon.
Winchester Bay is a vacationer's paradise; home to miles of undisturbed beaches, abundant wildlife, lake and ocean fishing, Lake Marie, nearby hiking trails, plenty of campgrounds, 3 beach parking areas, and vast stretches of off-road riding fun for ATVers. Our dunes offer some of the best riding on the coast. Our inviting village is full of shops and restaurants; offering tasty treats from the sea and unique gifts.
Copy this link below for more great info on What To Do in Winchester Bay.
Located on the central Oregon coast along Highway 101, Florence is a scenic and recreational paradise. A charming old town which was originally a mill town, Florence has a population of over 6200. Old Town boasts a number of interesting shops and restaurants, and there is a marina and RV campground on the waterfront. Along Highway 101, there are many new stores in this growing area of the Oregon coast.
Camping, fishing, dune buggy rides, sand boarding, shopping, crabbing, clamming, birding, hiking and golfing are but a few of the activities available in Florence.
The Historic Old Town Florence offers lovely, unique, fun shopping and dining to locals and tourists. Itâs all blended with colorful and creative art galleries, the quaint path through Gazebo Park to the river, and the Siuslaw River Bridge Interpretive Center, where you can sip a cup of coffee or a cool drink at riverside tables while you listen to the call of the sea gulls flying over the fishing boats as they pass under famous Siuslaw Bridge.
Many of the buildings have fascinating history, and the streets are now enhanced with beautiful flower boxes, ornamental streetlights and benches for relaxing.
Come enjoy a delightful visit to historic Florence and Old Town where friendly merchants will always welcome you with a gracious smile.
Great things to experience in Florence. Use the link below.
[read more about Florence, Oregon]